These muffins are bursting with blueberries and lemon flavor!
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! (did I say LOVE enough times! haha)
- For the cinnamon crumble topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups blueberries*
- To make the topping: Stir the sugar, flour, cinnamon & salt together in a small bowl. Add the cubed butter and using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Put the topping mixture in the refrigerator while you make the muffin batter.
- To make the muffins: Preheat over to 400 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, milk & egg until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the twelve muffin cups then sprinkle the crumble topping over the top of each muffin. Be generous with the topping, the more the better and some will bake into the muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 20-22 minutes (if using frozen blueberries, bake 24-26 minutes) until cooked through and golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- NOTES: *Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used. Do not thaw the berries in advance if using frozen, this makes them too fragile to fold into the batter. I used fresh when I made them.
Recipe Source: slightly adapted from Alaska from scratch (I added lemon juice and decreased the milk amount)